Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Nelsan Ellis 'wants True Blood romance to end'



Nelsan Ellis has admitted that he does not want his character's romance on True Blood to last very long.

Lafayette has become attracted to Jesus (Kevin Alejandro) in the third season but Ellis explained that he doesn't want him to settle down too quickly.

"It's a different color to Lafayette," he told Digital Spy. "What I'm enjoying is working with [Alejandro] because it's challenging for the both of us and I think we've pushed each other to be better actors, because we've sort of taken that challenge on and I think we've surmounted it."

However, he continued: "I didn't really want a love interest. I like Lafayette as just a prostitute... I don't think he's a settle-down-right-now type of dude. I think later down the line, but I think he's so much about his exploits and making money and stuff. I know a lot of people wanted him to settle down and I think the gay community wanted him to settle down."

When asked if he wants the relationship to end soon, he replied: "I don't want it to last long. No, I don't want it to last long. Maybe when Lafayette is like 35, you know what I mean? Maybe. But Lafayette is like 28."

Nevertheless, Ellis suggested that the couple are "falling in love" and said: "[Creator Alan Ball] told me it was surprisingly tender... We were just trying to make it real and believable. We know the show has a huge gay fanbase so we wanted it to be believable for all the fans because when the camera's right here all that love's got to manifest itself. There are deep feelings and I think they're falling in love."