Wednesday, February 24, 2010

SURPRISE: Matthew Goode didn't like Leap Year



It's a good thing acting is working out for Matthew Goode -- he could never fall back on a career in PR. While talking to the UK's Telegraph, the actor called his recent film 'Leap Year' "turgid," saying, "I just know that there are a lot of people who will say it is the worst film of 2010."

Goode isn't wrong about his movie's reputation: 'Leap Year,' co-starring Oscar-nominated actress Amy Adams, received a shameful 21% approval rating on movie review aggregate RottenTomates. The quality of the film, Goode said, was not what drew him to the project -- it was the location. "So that I could come home at the weekends," he explained. "It wasn't because of the script, trust me."

The proximity to home was no small issue for Goode. After his stint in 'Watchmen' last year, his agent has pressured him to relocate to the US -- a move Goode is dedicated to avoiding. "If I lived in LA, I'd be schizophrenic after a week. I'd just sit in a hotel room with a shoebox full of weed going: 'I'm not f***ing moving. If they want me, they can come here.'"

Regarding 'Leap Year', Goode added, "I was told it was going to be like 'The Quiet Man' with a Vaughan Williams soundtrack, but in the end it turned out to have pop music all over it. Do I feel I let myself down? No. Was it a bad job? Yes, it was. But, you know, I had a nice time and I got paid."

Goode feels no guilt at panning his own movie, insisting actors should have the freedom to be honest about their work. "Because of the way my repartee comes out, people tend to think that I don't care," he told the paper. "Actually, it's often just a result of my being in a situation where I'm embarrassed about having to talk about a film which I don't think is that brilliant -- but obviously I can't say that. I do think that it's important that one should be able to speak out without worrying about causing offence, or whatever."

"It saddens me that the romanticism has been ripped out of being an actor. It wasn't like that in Peter O'Toole's time, was it?"

SOURCE