Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Katy Perry talks new album and her pop rivals



Life must be hard for Katy Perry. The pastors daughter-turned-pop tart burst onto the scene in 2008 and was heralded as the wild, stylish party girl who shocked conservative Christians with her controversial faux-lesbo anthem ”I Kissed a Girl”, eventually going on to sell over five million copies of her album One of the Boys.

Fast forward two years to 2010 and a whole new crop of girls like Ke$ha and Lady GaGa are out shocking people (my mainstream standards) by peeing in sinks and bleeding on stage, leaving Katy at the risk of becoming a one-album-wonder. Well nobody knows that better than Katy herself, and during a new interview with Nylon she bared her teeth and said that she’s ready to switch things up in order to stay one step ahead of the competition.

“You’ve got Lady Gaga, who’s like, from outer space; you’ve got Ke$ha, who’s the beer-drinking, house-party girl; and then you’ve got Rihanna, who’s transforming the urban world into her own outer space,” she explains. “But I feel like you’re missing an Alanis Morissette, 2010. I love how she was a voice for a lot of people who couldn’t explain their feelings. But it’s not like I’m not gonna compete. I love a good dose of healthy competition. It’s not going to be the same thing that they’re doing.”

“Sometimes I feel like I’m more of a Taylor Swift. She tells stories, and I think that’s what resonated with a lot of people.”

“Some of the kid shit I’ve grown out of completely,” Perry announces. “I feel like when I explain my transition visually, people understand. I’m taking it out of the Shirley Temple, Betty Boop, Lichtenstein kind of thing. It’s still fun, but it’s a bit darker. It’s not as annoying. Sometimes I feel like a big strawberry with a face on it. If you do something over and over again it’s like Chinese water torture. If it hits your head enough times, you want to die. You have to just evolve.”

Part of Katy’s evolution will include her new album which she describes as “a roller-disco ‘Lovefool’ by the Cardigans meets ‘I Saw the Sign’ by Ace of Base.”

“I think what will be most important is not the club bangers, but the songs that people want to put on the inside of their wedding rings-that lyrics, that inscription they want to use as their lifelong motto.” {source}

Katy’s album is due this Summer and will feature production from The-Dream & Tricky, Ryan Tedder, Calvin Harris, Greg Kurstin, Max Martin & Dr Luke and many more.

SOURCE